Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Low Tide-Mont Saint Michel

This is my latest painting.  I worked on a very ambitious painting of Mont Saint Michel in Normandy, France.  I visited the monastery last year and it was amazing to see. 

The day that I went there, it was an overcast, on the verge of raining kind of day.  It was at low tide and approaching the site, there was a small sailboat embedded in the sand waiting for the water to come in to set it upright.

In this painting, I wanted to convey the mysterious feeling and age of this structure and the weather that day aided in trying to achieve that affect.  I put a lot of texture into this painting and was also pleased with the sky.  That was the first part that I had painting because if that did not turn out to my liking, I was not going proceed with the painting.  But as luck would have it, and after some practice, it turned out just fine.

No comments: